Friday, March 9, 2012

It's time for a trip to the post office!

Being held accountable through this blog has really motivated me to catch up on long- overdue letters and notes. This is what I  hid under my coat and ran between raindrops to take to the post office last evening:



OK, OK, I have a confession to make: two of those envelopes contain birthday cards to my daughter and granddaughter, and my husband did most of the writing--I just added some verbal kisses and hugs.


And, no, I did not write all nine of those in one evening; they are the fruits of my labors since March LetterWriting Month started.

Some tips I learned from the book The Art of the Handwritten Note, by Margaret Shepherd, continue to help me:

"Write from a Space of Your Own: Set up a note-writing place that includes a chair, worktable or desk, and lamp. Leave everything set up and use it often. Assemble your materials: stationery, pen, address list, scratch paper, pencil, stamps…..If you can’t leave your materials set up, gather them in a drawer or basket to keep them from wandering off when they are not in use." (p. 51)
The combination of a special place plus a ritual is a personal goal I have for this project. And it is proving to be just what the letter-writing doctor ordered. The picture above shows evidence of this.

Shepherd adds: "If you have a special place and a simple ritual, it will help you develop the habit of writing. But if you are good at changing gears during your day, you could try to carry notes with you to make use of those chunks of wasted time when you could write—waiting in the doctor’s office or…sitting around on hold." (p. 52)

A special place,
     a simple ritual,
          pen,
               paper,
                    and a stamp.
If you would like to join me in making March Letter-Writing Month, just subscribe by email and you won't miss a pen stroke.

No comments:

Post a Comment